We often come across many sites on Internet or intranet and we always want to know that whether the site is based on SharePoint or not. So, in this article I am going to list all possible ways to identify if a site is based on SharePoint or not.
- The simplest way is to check the structure of the site i.e. folder structure or different pages. This pattern may show you a SharePoint Publishing site (Pages/Pagename.aspx or default.aspx). You can also search for /SitePages library by typing in the URL.
- If the site if of high importance OR if the site is very famous, then it will definitely be published as Microsoft case study : http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies
- As we know, SharePoint on-premise server is hosted on IIS (Internet Information Server), so we can check using HttpResponse or by some other tools that which hosting server is used for a particular site.
- Right click on any page and see for “view source”. Click on that and search for meta tag. If it’s a SharePoint site, then it will definitely have:-
<head><meta name=”GENERATOR” content=”Microsoft SharePoint” />
- If it’s a SharePoint site, then it must be calling web services in it. You can call any of the SharePoint OOTB web services (if it doesn’t open, then you will see the legendary “Error page” or “Something went wrong” page). Just access any of the web service present inside the “_layouts” folder.
E.g. – <<Site_Url>>/_layouts/lists.asmx
If you will check or test any of the above one or two points, then definitely you can be say that whether site is based on SharePoint or not.
CASE STUDY: –
Interestingly, while browsing the Indian Income Tax Department website (http://incometaxindia.gov.in/pages/default.aspx), I found that this site is based on SharePoint….voila !!
To confirm on this, I tested using the above points and below are my observations: –
1) Clicked on view source on the home page and searched for meta tag: –
2) Then I searched for init.js, _layouts based structure and other files related to SharePoint:-
3) Lastly, I checked the internal web service of SharePoint by typing this URL in browser – http://incometaxindia.gov.in/_layouts/lists.asmx , and see below the SharePoint Error page:-
Do you still need proof? Well enough, I know its SharePoint site now.